- West Hills High School’s main entrance = 600 yards (1/3 mile), AND it’s downwind.
- Only 430 yards downwind is West Hills Little League home plate. There are 4 baseball diamonds there, batting nets and 2 large exercise fields for football practice. Over 500 parents and children are there every Friday and Saturday during the season.
- Only 530 yards downwind is West Hills High School OUTDOOR Olympic swimming pool used for swim practice, water polo. When covered over, it is used for Hockey practice and other outdoor sports.
- Only 230 yards away is the Mission Trails Regional Park’s new Equestrian Center. Horseback riders use this area of the park every weekend to exercise their horses. Additionally, the site is about 500-600 yards from Mission Trails’ Kumeyaay Lakes and Campground.
The Tetratech-California Energy Commission report doesn’t tell the whole story:
- CO [carbon monoxide] 56.5 tons per year at 43% operation [113 tons or more at 100%] Exposure to carbon monoxide makes people feel dizzy and tired and gives them headaches. In high concentrations it is fatal. Elderly people with heart disease are hospitalized more often when they are exposed to higher amounts of carbon monoxide.
- NO2 [Nitrogen dioxide] 44.8 tons per year [89.6 tons or more at 100%] People who are exposed to nitrogen dioxide for a long time have a higher chance of getting respiratory infections. Nitrogen dioxide reacts in the atmosphere to form acid rain, which can harm plants and animals.
- Other toxic pollutants: Benzene, Formaldehyde, Propylene 46.5 tons per year [107 tons at 100%] Toxic air pollutants can cause cancer. Some toxic air pollutants can also cause birth defects. Other effects depend on the pollutant, but can include skin and eye irritation and breathing problems.
Read about Major Air Pollutants:
Everyone can help to stop the “Cogentrix Quail Brush Generation Project” (official name). Click on Meetings and Take Action tabs to find out how to help Stop the Power Plant!